What is Australian Sanctions Office?
The Australian Sanctions Office (ASO) is the Australian Government’s sanctions regulator. As the sanctions regulator, ASO:
- provides guidance to regulated entities, including government agencies, individuals, business and other organisations on Australian sanctions law;
- processes applications for, and issues, sanctions permits;
- works with individuals, business and other organisations to promote compliance and help prevent breaches of the law;
- works in partnership with other government agencies to monitor compliance with sanctions legislation; and
- supports corrective and enforcement action by law enforcement agencies in cases of suspected non-compliance.
The Australian Sanctions Office sits within DFAT’s Legal Division in the International Security, Humanitarian and Consular Group.